Monday, February 26, 2007

A few thoughts about Oscar

I replied to my friend Alistair's mention of Tom Hanks blowing off one of the "hosts" who verbally attacked Tom as he was walking by backstage with William Monahan, the writer of The Departed.

Those award show "hosts" are the most superfluous part of an over-the-top back-self-patting extravaganza. Hmm, come to think of it, that last phrase was a little over-the-top, too. Over The Top, by the way, was an arm wrestling(!) movie starring Sly Stallone back in 1987. My friend and I were 2 of 3 people in the theatre for that one. It makes The Long Kiss Goodnight seem like Lawrence of Arabia by comparison. I think Alistair, Dean and I were 3 of the 5 or so people in the theatre for The Long Kiss Goodnight. You remember that one A.? Not that I'm bitter. ;-) It was Geena Davis's follow-up to Cutthroat Island. I think that one-two combo was the death knell for her career, a cameo in Stuart Little and a few TV appearances aside. Speaking of aside, enough of this aside: back to the Oscars!

Good on Tom Hanks for totally snubbing that "host" whose lameness with his attempt at comedy with the wooden horse race board (he called it "the latest in technology", or some such foolishness) that he held in his hand was only exceeded by his blind toadying/insinuation into Tom's life, which was going along just fine without that host (who shall remain nameless; OK, I don't know his name).

I am happy that Scorsese finally won Best Director. I think it was one of those body-of-work awards, although I really enjoyed The Departed. On another note, I agree with Alan Arkin who said that he hoped that his 10-year old co-star Abby Breslin would not win Best Supporting Actress. While he was joking by saying she would have to follow it up by winning a Nobel Prize next year, I have to agree with him. What could she do after winning the top award in her field at age 10? Best to simply get a nomination and not peak too early.

Speaking of peaking too early, you read it here first: Jennifer Hudson will never again achieve the acting success she currently has, with a Golden Globe and Oscar. Her role in Dreamgirls was her dream role and while she probably won't be back on cruise ships singing Disney tunes anytime soon, I wonder if she should quit while she's ahead. Unfortunately, I think her career will be disappointing to her and to her fans. I hope I'm wrong.

P.S. Here is a site that lists some other young hopefuls that never re-attained their Oscar peak. I guess most stars shoot across the sky in Hollywood.

1 comment:

AC said...

Yeah, http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2005/02/go_fugg_yoursel.html had a realtime blog of the Oscars. Being one of the funniest sites for tearing off the Emperor's new clothes, they love the Oscars. And about 20 minutes in they posted this gem (I'm paraphrasing since the live blog doesn't seem to be archived anywhere sensible.)

"It's only twenty minutes into the Oscars. Nobody's received an award. And we're already bored of Jennifer Hudson."

Those guys are merciless.