Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New Nickname for Rainmen's Kadiri Richard?

My favourite player on the Rainmen is Kadiri Richard (#5). He is athletically talented, he makes huge swat-blocks that look cool (about one every 4 minutes or so that he is on the court), he has a great attitude, he has taught special needs students, he gives his team-mates their props after they score, and when he is playing, his facial expression alternates between a huge grin or the most intense scowl that I have ever seen. He is even growing a beard to support his fellow Rainman Jermaine Stewart, who is trying to qualify for the Olympics on Canada' national team.

I ordered a Rainmen jersey with his number on it, I am looking forward to wearing it to games!

Chad Lucas, a reporter for the Herald, mentions here that he thinks Kadiri needs a better nickname than "KD". I suspect that Chad is sick of hearing me shout it whenever Kadiri scores or makes a huge block. I sit right behind his media seat at the games. hehehe

I asked Kadiri if he had a nickname, back at the start of the season. He replied with “KD”. That’s good enough for me. We have to remember that a good sports nickname has to be easy to chant and to be understood when yelling it.

Some alternatives: Sultan of Swat, The Swahili Shield (Kadiri is a Swahili word/name meaning a type of tree). These may be offensive to some, so they are probably out.

How about Rocket Richard? I know he pronounces his surname differently than Maurice Richard did, but I think yelling “Rocket” might be fun.

My latest try is The Fortress of Swat-itude. Hmmm. Needs some paprika.

P.S. I think the announcer should give a nightly shout out to DJ Ronnie, who spins the tunes during the games. It is an easy thing to do and it adds to the connection we can have with the team, by giving the fans some knowledge about the people involved with the team.

No comments: