Thursday, October 27, 2016

CN Tower Climb - UPDATE!

Well, I did it!  I climbed the 1,776 stairs of the CN Tower: 144 flights of stairs plus another 6 flights after the finish line – they don’t mention those 6 extra flights of stairs in the publicity materials… J

Thank you to everyone who so generously donated to The United Way for this event.  Thanks to you, I raised $710 for The United Way!  Your giving spirits are amazing! 

This event was a unique experience.  I have never climbed much more than a handful of actual flights of stairs before (not counting stair climber machines), so to complete this task was something I never thought I would do.

It took me 32 minutes and 8 seconds to climb all 1,776 stairs.  It was different than running for that length of time, or even longer, because climbing up stairs is not the same as running on a level surface.  Also, there was no scenery to look at.  Just stair after stair after stair…

The CN Tower stairwell has steel steps, concrete walls, and concrete landings at the top of each flight of stairs.  The lighting is stark and utilitarian.  There are no windows, just a heavy metal grate along one side of the stairwell, to protect people from the open airshaft that runs the entire height of the tower.  Some might feel that it is claustrophobic (the narrow space with concrete walls) or even acrophobic (looking down the open airshaft), but it was okay for me. 

The first 40 flights (about 500 stairs) went quite well and I remember thinking that I should pace myself, there was still a long way to go.  At the 47th flight, I took a 1 minute break, with the plan that I would stop at about 1/3 of the way, then at 2/3, then finish the climb.  At Flight 77, I decided to take another 1 minute break, because I realized that only two breaks for the entire climb was not going to work for me.  I ended up stopping 4 times in total, to give my muscles a chance to re-oxygenate.

During the course of the climb, I ended up passing people who were also taking sporadic breaks, then they would leapfrog past me when I stopped.  Okay, “leapfrog” might be too energetic, they plodded past me – we were all tired at this point!

I remember passing Flight 89 (about 1,100 steps) and thinking “This is officially not fun anymore.  I am tired but I still have almost 50 flights left to go.”  A little while later, I saw a sign on the wall – a literal sign, not a figurative one.  I might have been tired but I was not having visions! The sign said “Only 500 steps to go!”.  Believe it or not, that was not a motivational message to me at that time!  500 is not a small number…

However, I seemed to get into the zone shortly after that and before I knew it, there was another sign that said “Only 100 steps to go!”.  Now we’re talking!  I can do this!  I am doing this!

There were people cheering on a landing at the top of the stairwell, encouraging the climbers to “finish strong”, so I quickened my pace for the last couple flights.  I clocked out with my timechip wristband and then… I turned and saw the rest of the stairs that I would need to climb to reach to the observation level of the CN Tower and the elevator to go back down to ground level.  Those last 50 stairs were tough to climb!

Once I reached the observation level, there were more people cheering and that felt really good to see and hear.  I walked around the perimeter of the tower, taking advantage of the beautiful view and reflecting upon my achievement.  I actually climbed all the way up here!  I looked down through the glass floor and it helped give me perspective on how high I had just climbed. 

The elevator ride back down was only 58 seconds long, just a bit less than the time it took to go up the tower.  I collected my T-shirt that had my completion time written on it, drank some water and ate a couple granola bars, then I headed home to shower and take a load off my feet for a rest.  I earned it!

By the way, my 11-year old son David climbed the CN Tower the day before I did, with his Scout Troop.  We found out the Troop was doing the climb after I had committed to doing it for my work’s charitable campaign, so I only attended Saturday’s climb as a chaperone/Scout Leader.  David had asked me if I would do the climb with him, but I didn’t think I could do it on Saturday with the Scouts and then do it again the following morning with my work colleagues.  As it turned out, David and I would have only started the climb together.  With his exuberance of youth and the energy that comes from facing a challenge with your peers, David raced up the stairs in a fantastic time of 20 minutes flat!  He really enjoyed himself and he was none the worse for wear, since he played goal in the hockey game that he had that same afternoon.  Ah!  To be young again! J

Between the two of us, David and I raised $810 dollars!  We are proud of our achievement and also proud of our family members and friends who supported the cause by donating, as well as those who wished us good luck before the event.

If you happen to want to donate now, it is still possible until Friday, November 11.  Any amount is appreciated, and tax receipts are available for donations of $25 or more.  My webpage link is right here:


Please don’t feel obligated, I just wanted to give people the opportunity to donate if they meant to, but it slipped their mind. 

Thanks again for your support!

No comments: