Monday, November 5, 2007

Better late than never

It seems like I have a problem in following up on the concerts that I have been going to see this year.

Without a doubt, the Van Halen concert was my favourite concert ever. The seats that were 10 rows from the stage and about 20 feet from the runway that extended into the floor seat area helped a great deal, but just seeing one of my favourite bands of all-time, playing with their first -- and best -- singer, David Lee Roth was exhilarating.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Jonathan knew most of the songs and we sang along to a few of them together. The atmosphere of the show was thrilling and I was able to get about 170 photos and 20+ minutes of video (the entrance, first song, drum solo and 2 guitar solos) on my camera.

There was a brief crazy moment, when I got into a bit of a scuffle with some drunk guy who insisted on falling on top of me while mistakenly trying to get in my seat. I dealt with hom and then turned back to enjoy the show, then waited for the punch or knife to my back. It never came, but you don't know about these things when they are happening. I later saw him in the row behind me, a few seats over. I guess he did have a ticket for a seat, but his drunkenness got in the way of being able to count to eleven (his seat was in row 11).

We had a good time visiting Cheryl's aunts and uncles, who were all nice and friendly (this was my first time meeting 3 of the 5 of Cheryl's mom's siblings). The weekend went by so quick, although I am glad we stayed until Monday to give us that extra day to visit with family.

I posted a couple photos on my Facebook page. I don't want to put a lot of them on the internet because they are for my enjoyment, not for some stranger to re-produce them for a profit. Let me just say, there are some pretty good shots among them. My favourite is the photo of Eddie leaning on his son Wolfgang as they play together. You can tell that Eddie loves his son very much and he told us himself that night that he loves having Wolfgang in the band.

If you can do the thing you love for money AND have your family work with you, can you ask for anything more?

No comments: