Thursday, May 3, 2007

Snakes & Arrows

Just thought I'd write a quick note about the new Rush album, Snakes & Arrows. After hearing the first single, "Far Cry" on the radio, I wasn't sure if I would buy the album when it came out, but then the Rush completist fan in me prevailed, and here we are (plus the $11.99 price helped in the decision-making process).

The album is better than I thought it might be, but not as good as I hoped it would be. It has 13 songs; most of them sound similar to one another, although the 2 instrumentals are kind of neat (I wish one of them had been a drum instrumental instead).

The coolest part about the album is the artwork in the liner notes, which is not a great compliment. I guess I like the album overall, but I stand by my earlier comment that I made to my brother-in-law and sister-in-law (both Rush fans, she is actually nicknamed The Rush Goddess) that the album probably didn't need to be made. Snakes & Arrows sounds a lot like Rush's last few albums, which have been fairly ho-hum. This is too bad, considering their first decade was amazing, their second decade was good with a few so-so moments, while their third decade has been largely disappointing (to me).

OK, I'll say this much: At least there are no lyrics like the song Virtuality (on the album Test For Echo). Good music on that album, uninspired lyrics -- sorry Neil. That chorus of that song is second only to the rapping on Roll The Bones as Rush's Worst Moment Ever for me (and I like rap, I just think that middle-aged white Canadian guys shouldn't do it).

I'm going to give Snakes & Arrows a 6.5 out of 10, which is a solid C. I wish I could give them a higher mark, but they didn't show their work. (Math class joke for you out there) ;-)

On a brighter note, I also purchased a photograph print retrospective that was autographed by Neil Peart. I am lookng forward to receiving it and putting it up on the wall.

Rock on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the 4th Decade if Rush... not sure how you broke it down. Rush was the best in the 1970s when they did their trilogy: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres. Since then it's been hit or miss.